AB&I held its annual Health and Wellness Fair for team members on Thursday, October 12, 2017. These events are designed to encourage team members to take preventive measures to avert the onset or worsening of an illness or disease and to adopt healthier lifestyles.
Team Members were provided free biometric screenings through eHealthScreenings flu shots by U.S. Health Works, and financial planning by Merrill Lynch. Participants were also offered a massage, a discount gym membership at 24 Hour Fitness and could win prizes for participating in a challenge of making a smoothie while riding a bike.
A huge thanks to Filice and Western Suppliers for their help in organizing this year’s event and to the vendors that attended the fair.
Today marks the beginning of the McWane Feel Like a Million challenge! Feel Like a Million is designed to help improve overall health by learning healthy habits to sustain energy for work and play and reduce stress. We are super excited to begin this challenge and wish all of our team members the best of luck! To kick-off this challenge, we want to provide our team members and our social media friends with the recipe for a delicious, yet healthy and power-packed meal, courtesy of Feel Like a Million!
Broccoli & Feta Pasta Salad (By EatingWell.com) – Yield: 6 servings | Active time: 30 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
This vegetarian pasta salad recipe is perfect for your next potluck or as an easy side dish. The broccoli keeps it nice and crunchy and the chickpeas add protein. For the best flavor, combine the pasta salad with the dressing about 1 hour before serving.
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar
- 8 ounces (about 3 cups) of whole-wheat fusilli
- 2 cups of chopped broccoli
- 1 3/4 cups of halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas , rinsed
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare dressing: Mash garlic and salt in a medium bowl with the back of a spoon into a chunky paste. Add buttermilk, mayonnaise, oregano and vinegar; whisk until combined.
- To prepare pasta salad: Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Add broccoli, tomatoes, chickpeas, feta, pepper and the dressing; toss to coat.
*Make Ahead Tip:
Cover and refrigerate, without dressing, for up to 1 day. Toss with the dressing about 1 hour before serving.
Per serving: 264 calories; 44 g carbohydrates; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 g protein; 14 mg cholesterol; 6 g dietary fiber; 367 mg potassium; 457 mg sodium. Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
In an ongoing effort to help promote a healthy lifestyle and encourage healthy habits, Atlantic States is holding another Biggest Loser Contest. The contest began on Tuesday, March 4 and will end on Wednesday, September 4, giving participants six months to reach a new healthy weight.
Rules of the Contest:
- All participants must weigh in on Tuesday, March 4 in order to qualify;
- Each participant must weigh in weekly; and
- The final winners will be calculated by total percentage of weight loss
On September 4 the winner of the Biggest Loser Contest will be named and the following prizes will be awarded:
- 1st Place- $300 Gift Card
- 2nd Place- $200 Gift Card
- 3rd Place- $100 Gift Card
The top three Biggest Loser winners will also be given an opportunity to “double their prize”. If they maintain their final weight at the weigh-in on September 4 for an additional six months (March 2015), they will be presented with a second gift card of the same value as their September 4 prize.
Being that the contest ends in 3 months, participants are already half-way through! We cannot wait to see the ending results and hope that everyone is doing well on their journey to a healthier lifestyle. Good luck to all participants!
Anaco recently held their 5th Annual Health Fair. Team members had convenient access to blood pressure, glucose, and body fat screening as well as a 10 minute massage. Representatives from Kaiser, Dental Health Services, Benefits Resources, and Health Net were available to provide educational materials and answer any questions. Costco, Walgreens and Fitt Ryde were also on hand to educate the team about how to lead a healthier lifestyle and team members were offered a discount on spinning classes.
Anaco provided a box lunch from Subway for all team members that attended the Health Fair and there were also raffle prizes – movie tickets, gift cards to Ralphs and Jamba Juice, a magic bullet, scales, an electric toothbrush, water bottles, a free massage, and membership to spinning class.
Everyone seemed to have a great time all while learning more about how to lead a healthier life style. Great job Team Anaco!