Every year, McWane Ductile-Utah (MDU) team members participate in fundraising for the American Cancer Society Nebo Relay for Life. In fact, they are the biggest fundraising team for the event, and this year was their most successful year so far!
MDU had over 75 team members and their families participate on the day of the relay! They held a raffle for the number of laps walked, and Rick Garcia from Maintenance was the grand prize winner of a paid day off. Rick was elated and said, “I will be using this paid day off to go with my 17 year old daughter Valerie when she gets her port taken out.” Valerie has Hodgkins Lymphoma and MDU is happy to support Rick in being able to spend the day with his daughter. Casting Department Head Richard Simmons won Mr. Relay and Melting Department Head Nathan Thayne won the prize for the most unique boxcar, the Scrap Mobile.
We are proud to report that MDU donated about $23,500 this year! As always, they had a lot of fun and are looking forward to next year’s event.
The American Cancer Society’s “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” walk is a powerful event that raises awareness and funds to find a cure for breast cancer. We are proud to report that on Saturday, June 20, 2015, AB&I’s team, Iron Will to Survive, was the second largest team at the walk with 40 participants!
The generous support of AB&I and their team members helped make Iron Will to Survive the first place team for the total amount of donations raised – over $10,000! Knowing that there were a total of 38 teams, 300 participants, and $57,689 total dollars raised, it is humbling to realize the impact our participation can have on the life of a cancer patient.
Thank you to the following AB&I team members and their families for joining Iron Will to Survive at the walk:
- Amalia Beltran and her daughter, Margarita
- Isaac Beltran, his wife, Guillermina, and son, Carlos
- Gilbert Bolanos, his wife, Arisvel, and daughters Alexa, Cristal, and Stephanie
- Nick Darling
- Kevin Doran and his four-legged family, Gigi
- Cris Forde, her four-legged family, Jack, and her friend, Laya, and her four-legged family, Nala
- Isidro Gonzalez, his sister, Maria, and nephew, Saul
- Jennifer Grundell and her husband, Greg
- Zeydi Gutierrez, her son, Oliver, daughter, Chelsea, and four-legged family, Rex
- Anthony Hernandez-Deanda
- Harrison Lambert
- Jenny Landon and her friend, Jessi
- Dana Sherry and her friend, Assi
- Nancy Tavares, her husband, Carlos, daughter, Natalie, son, Nathan, four-legged family, Darla, and extended family Josh, Bev, Rene, Danielle, Marla, Rhonda, Jeremy, Tony, and four-legged family, Bruno.
Sincere thanks and gratitude to AB&I for matching the donations that were made to Iron Will to Survive and to each and every team member that made a donation. Their support and generosity is a perfect example of what being a team truly means.